Proposed revision of the current intellectual property policy.
This document defines the policy of this Website regarding copyrights, trademarks and patents.
- Under most national laws, and current international treaties (e.g. the Berne Convention), you as an author automatically obtain copyrights, moral rights and other rights in the works you create.
- If you produce a work within the scope of your employment, most of those rights are usually assigned to your employer, either by law or under contract.
- This Policy explains what rights you must grant others over your works, and what representations you must make, in order to participate in this Website as a Contributor.
- This Policy is specifically designed for a community with no centralizing legal entity. There are no transfers of copyright. Every contributor owns his/her work, in perpetuity, but grants a license for others to use and extend it.
- This Policy is a click-through license that governs your use of this Website to make Contributions. Before you, the "Contributor" (an individual, or the organization you represent or are sponsored by, if any), can make Contributions, you must read and agree to this Policy.
- This Website and Policy enable a collaboration between you and other Contributors, who agree to develop a Body of Work to promote software interoperability.
- "This Website" means any website operated on the following Internet domain: wiki.amqp.org, and supporting communications channels including but not limited to: email lists and IRC channels.
- The "Body of Work" is the union of all material, made available on this Website, that is covered by copyright, moral rights, or other rights. The Body of Work is result of Contributions.
- A "Contribution" is any item of work published by a Contributor to this Website that is covered by copyright, moral rights, or other rights. Contributions may include, but are not limited to: partial or complete texts, emails, comments, corrections, discussions, designs, schemas, images, source code, presentations, documents, and video and audio files.
- The "Operators" are the administrators of this Website, who are responsible for writing this Policy, updating it, and enforcing it.
3. Publishing a Contribution
- If you are in employment, you must secure written permission from your employer to participate in this Website as a Contributor, under the terms of this Policy.
- By posting an email to the public and/or private email lists that support this Website, you are making a Contribution of the email and any attachments.
- Your Contribution is combined with the current version of the Body of Work to create a new derived Body of Work. This new Body of Work is collectively owned by all past Contributors, including yourself.
- You publish your Contribution under BOTH the Free Software Foundation's GPLv3, or any later version (the "GPL"), AND the latest version of the IETF license (the "IETF license").
- You irrevocably, in perpetuity and without payment or hindrance, grant others the right to use your Contribution, in part or in whole, under EITHER of the GPL or IETF license.
- For the purposes of the GPL, "source code" is defined as being any Contribution.
- You retain all rights over your original work.
4. Patents and Trademarks
- To the extent that you have or acquire patent claims that would be necessarily infringed by a compliant implementation of any part of your Contribution, or use of such an implementation, you grant a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, world-wide right and license with respect to your patent claims for such purpose.
- If you claim trademark rights in terms used in your Contribution, you grant a perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, world-wide right and license with respect to your trademark rights for all uses of your Contribution under the terms of this Policy.
- You represent that to the best of your knowledge and ability that no information in the Contribution is confidential;
- that there are no limits to your ability to make the grants, acknowledgments and agreements herein that are reasonably and personally known to you;
- that you have not intentionally included in the Contribution any material which is defamatory or untrue or which is illegal under the laws of the jurisdiction in which you have your principal place of business or residence;
- and that all trademarks, trade names, service marks and other proprietary names used in the Contribution that are reasonably and personally known to you are clearly designated as such where reasonable.
- You recognize that over time, this Policy will need corrections and updating, and you grant the Operators the right to issue new versions of this Policy at any time, and without prior notice.
- The Operators will communicate news of new versions of this Policy through the Website mailing list(s).
- Contributors are given the option at all times to cease being Contributors, with no effect on existing Contributions.